About the Program
Are you about to graduate or currently working and thinking of a graduate degree in Public Health? The MPH program at SRU is the place for you. Our program is seeking full accreditation by the “Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)”.
We offer 100% on line Master of Public Health program. The SRU MPH program is practitioner-based and we prepare our students for leadership positions in Public Health.
In the United States, between 2020 and 2030, the MPH-occupations are projected to add about 118,449 jobs to the economy. (EMSI)
Within a 150-mile region around Slippery Rock University, between 2020 and 2030, MPH-related occupations are projected to grow by a total of 10%. (EMSI)
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, healthcare occupations and those related to healthcare are projected to account for 18 of the 30 fastest growing occupations.
The MPH program focuses on health promotion and wellness, and environmental and occupational health to address workforce needs. The program is a practitioner-based approach and requires a practicum experience to allow students to further develop relevant experience in an applied setting. The knowledge and skills learned enables graduates to address public health issues at the community, institutional, and societal levels.
In addition, students develop interdisciplinary competencies: health communication, diversity and ethics, leadership, professionalism, program planning, systems thinking, and inter-professional education.
SRU’s Master of Public Health Program goals:
- To involve students in interdisciplinary, culturally competent, community-based program opportunities to improve health and environmental equity for individuals and communities
- To provide quality education, research, and service through an innovative online course structure to improve the health and well-being of all community members and eliminate health disparities
- To initiate faculty and student service-learning opportunities to promote innovative population health programs
- The application for CEPH accreditation has been accepted
- No GRE required
- 100% on line – get your degree without relocating to Pennsylvania
- Focus on your area of interest: Health Promotion and Wellness or Environmental and Occupational Health
- Network with fellow students through group activities
- Complete the 42-credit program in 21 months for full-time students
- Exposed to the field by dedicated and experienced faculty members
Slippery Rock University, Masters of Public Health Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The accreditation review will address the MPH degree with concentrations in Health Promotion and Wellness (HPW) and Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) included in the accreditation unit, as defined in the Council’s letter accepting the application. Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
The MPH program offers to academic concentrations, enabling you to choose the one that best aligns with your career goals. Upon graduation, students with the “Health Promotion and Wellness” concentration will be able to:
- Demonstrate how wellness is multi-dimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental well-being, spiritual well-being and the environment
- Develop effective population health strategies for communicating with clients to enhance health and wellness
- Incorporate written formats and media technology to increase the likelihood of engaging priority populations in health promotion programs
- Recognize barriers to culturally competent provider-consumer relationships and identify strategies to overcome barriers
- Analyze ways that a person contributes to their environment and community, and identify how to build living spaces and social networks that promote wellness
FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT ADMISSIONS
Office of Graduate Admissions
104 North Hall, Welcome Center
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
724.738.2051 or 877.SRU.GRAD